Sunday, April 28, 2013

Special: Food, Food, and More Food...

Food, Food, and More Food...


Whenever I have company in town, it's always an excellent opportunity to check restaurants off my bucket list. I realize that's not the point of having friends over, but it certainly is a wonderful benefit. It's kind of like how at Christmas, everyone says that it's not about the presents. But we all know that it really kind of is. You know what I mean. 

Anyway, I've had some lovely friends, Diane and Steve, stay with me for this last week. We've had some real fun (Central Park Zoo, Plaza Hotel, the whole tourist shtick). And, it so happens, that we've tried a lot of great a food. A lot. I mean, I have been doing extra yoga to avoid a food baby. 

Here is a portion of my food journey: 


Cafe Lalo (83rd and Amsterdam) which you might remember from the 1998 Tom Hanks-Meg Ryan-Email flick, You've Got Mail. It's a love triangle between technology and humans. Spoiler alert: technology wins. 

Lalo completely lived up to all that I had dreamt it would be. It's such a stunning little cafe. 
Cafe Lalo Exterior 
Diane enjoyed Lalo as well. 
What a cool interior. 
I ordered quiche and a Mediterranean Salad. Diane got the whole-wheat Belgium Waffle!




Their dessert bar is incredible! (I borrowed this photo from tripadvisor.com)

http://cafelalo.com/cafe/

One of my go-to Greek Restaurants is Dafni Greek Taverna (42nd and 8th Avenue). It requires a reservation, but the food is reasonably priced and always first quality. I usually order a Greek salad with gyro slices over it. It runs about $14. 

They're very generous with their Dolmades. I love Dolmades, I wish they went with everyday food. Dolmades with sandwiches. Dolmades with cereal. I would do it, don't judge.  

http://www.dafnitaverna.com/
Yes, it does have Dolmades! More please!
Finally, I had the BEST Indian food I have ever tasted at this nice little restaurant, Benares. It's located near Columbus Circle (56th Street and Broadway). You MUST try their Malai Kofta. I couldn't pronounce the name, so I did the little kid thing where I point at it on the menu. Diane ordered a rice dish that tasted incredible, especially when dipped in the Kofta sauce. 

I felt food drunk. You know that thing where the food is so good it makes you drowsy. It blew me away.

http://www.benaresnyc.com/

Diane and I had no idea how good that was going to be!
That has been my food journey thus far. Any recommendations of new places to try?


No comments:

Post a Comment