Thursday, May 16, 2013

Living it Up at Laughing Man Coffee

Hugh Jackman is a lot of things. Wolverine, Jean Valjean, Van Helsing, The Boy from Oz. But who knew that coffee shop proprietor was also on his resume? Jackman is one of three founders of Laughing Man. LM has three locations, all in the Financial District. I visited the one off Reade St. and Broadway.

LM is a really cool place. In addition to 100% of their profits going to education and business in underdeveloped countries, LM has the most energetic and joyful crew. As I walk in, the two baristas and a customer are all dancing to the radio. I ask them about their famous drink, the Flat White, and they are more than happy to pitch it to me.

"It's the Australian Version of the cappuccino!" one of them shouts.

"It's like when you ask that guy to the dance in middle school and he accepts," another one of them offers.

"It's just good," the third guy adds, and they all laugh. 
I can't help but laugh too. It's a bit contagious, this effervescent energy.




Unfortunately, there's no sitting room inside. But the small venue is clean and well-organized. Black-and-white tiles decorate the store along with pictures of Hugh Jackman and Dukale, an Ethiopian Coffee Farmer. I head outside to sit on the steps with my drink.

The Flat White is slightly bitter. It tastes like a hybrid between hot chocolate and a cappuccino, which is a far less romantic description then any of the baristas provided. Overall, it's a well-blended drink and refreshing. I like it, but I think what I like even more is the crew and the altruistic message that LM represents.



Coffee: 8/10, Good
Location: Financial District (Reade and Broadway) 
Atmosphere: Tiny, but optimistic and very friendly
Cost: Under $3
Recommend: Yes

https://secure.laughingmancheckout.com



No comments:

Post a Comment