Thursday, April 18, 2013

Falling in Love with Stumptown Coffee

Hey CoffeeHeads,

I think I've done it. I have found the most incredible place to enjoy coffee in New York City (at least so far)! I can't stop thinking about Stumptown Coffee. Located in Chelsea, at 29th Street and Broadway, I wish I had known about Stumptown months ago. 


Such a classy and beautiful front window
You wouldn't expect such a classy shop in this neighborhood. It's surrounded by a bunch of cheesy businesses, the kinds of places where one buys discount rubber boots from. But Stumptown is so beautiful, complete with gold curvy lighting and a chalk board with the most perfectly spaced font I have ever seen. Seriously, whoever wrote that should consider taking up calligraphy, they are unnaturally good at forming letters.

The front of the shop is this intimate space with a huge glass window overlooking the street. The decorating is simple and classic, with eccentric touches everywhere. There are a variety of random animal statues positioned along the front shelves beside vintage coffee machines. The mugs are also printed with black-and-white animal art. The highlighted colors are gold and silver. 

It's a snake-like lighting pattern. 














Every barista is skinny and wears a hat (this could be said about most NYC Baristi). 
They look like extras for a hipster MTV show with a tagline like,
 "We work in the City. We are baristas. Whatever."
 Is it required that all baristas wear a page boy hat and/or a scarf? I'm certain there must be some sort of legal obligation.


Hipster Baristas, as per usual
The lady barista who rings me up is rather unfriendly and manages to spill my decaf coffee out of the cup. She wipes it up without apologizing.  But the roast is so strong, fully-realized and bold that I quickly forget her stumble. 
This coffee is exceptional. It's exactly what I want from a cup of joe.  No grounds, no bitterness, no weird aftertaste. The Stumptown Roasters are masters at capturing the essence and flavor of coffee without the pitfalls many roasters struggle with.  

After I get my coffee, I meander into the open seating in the lobby of the Ace Hotel.
It's amazing, they actually want people to be here. This is probably one of the only times I have felt not only welcomed, but also wanted at in a NYC venue (also see Sasha's).

The entrance to the Ace Hotel Lobby



The set-up is totally posh. Marble tables, lightening-fast wifi, comfortable leather chairs, dark-stained  benches. Then there's more odd decorations like taxidermy badgers in a glass cage, old newspaper as wallpaper, and a painted American Flag on the back-
wall. It's like your uncle's creepy den that you simultaneously admire, but fear you'll get murdered in. 





Coffee: 10/10, Stellar
Location: Chelsea (29th Street and Broadway) 
Atmosphere: Classic, eccentric and comfortable 
Cost: $2.25
Recommend: Yes, absolutely! 
http://stumptowncoffee.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment