Thursday, April 11, 2013

Brooklyn Roasting Company: Stellar Scenery, Meh Coffee

I'm not one to just venture outside of Manhattan for the heck of it. You could call me a square, and I would not deny it. But Brooklyn Roasting Company came to me with the highest of recommendations. It's located in Dumbo at 25 Jay Street and is the sole BRC. 

Brooklyn Roasting Company Exterior 
The surrounding brick walls on the outside don't necessarily draw one in.  But inside, it's much larger then you'd expect.  And even though it's pretty cozy, the place still maintains its warehouse ceiling. A giant chalkboard hanging from the ceiling lists all the coffees, teas, and food items. The colorful logo bubble letters don't exactly fit the "hole-in-the-wall" vibes either. 
It's a whole slew of elements that work together surprisingly well. 


I order the Kenya Roast, which is the special of the day. A skinny barista in a tight t-shirt tells me that he personally prefers the lighter roast but that the Kenya is still good. I have to say, it's not bad, but it's also not that memorable either. It's smooth, but not bold enough for my tastes or to illicit a 40-minute trip outside my island. I do own Manhattan by the way,  so I can legally refer to it as MY island. 

The seating situation isn't awesome. There's a few wooden seats and barstools, but I recommend sitting outside because the surrounding area is incredible. My friend, Lucy, and I wander about between the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridge. 
I am also working on stalking Lucy as a side project 

Everyone is taking pictures: couples, friends, graduates, wedding parties.  We examine Anne Hathaway's plush penthouse and decide our next life move will be to ride the local carousel. 


Even though the coffee didn't wow me, Dumbo itself is very charming. 
And any day I get to ride a carousel is a great one. 



BRC Link: http://www.brooklynroasting.com/cafe 


Coffee: 6/10, Just average
Location: Dumbo, Brooklyn (Jay Street) 
Atmosphere: Cozy warehouse for cool people 
Cost: Around $2.50 
Recommend: Yes, but mainly to see Dumbo 


No comments:

Post a Comment