Monday, February 4, 2013

Upper West Side Gem: Sasha's Coffee

   Located in the Upper West Side (94th and Amsterdam), this place is a hole in the wall. Crammed between (and connected to) a children's care center, it would be all too easy to overlook. However, inside is probably one of the friendliest atmospheres I've encountered in New York. The barista gave me a free shot of orange juice just for buying some coffee, which by the way, was incredible. Strong, rich and fully realizing its dark potential. And speaking of potential, this place definitely has it.
    It's in its early days, the barista tells me it is one year into its journey. And because of this, there's a lot of room for it to grow (in the actual literal sense). Sasha's has lightening fast internet. But be warned, it looks like it could seat 10 at most. And even then, it would be tight. The coffee equipment spills out into the seating area- a bench and some bar stools against wooden counter tops. A few Christmas lights line the window. It's definitely modest and understated.
    But I'll be honest, I kind of enjoy the small-time feel of it. In opposition of more established and thus non-personal coffee shops (Starbucks, Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf), it's a unique change of pace. And don't get me wrong, I'm not at all against big corporation beans. I'm actually a fan of both above listed places, but it is nice to feel more like a person and less like just another number.
      There is a real sense of community inside. One of the customers tells me that his brother and he found the place after stellar Yelp Reviews.  They've been supporting it ever since. A local guy comes in and praises the coffee. It's clear he's a regular.
If other people of his neighborhood actually venture inside, I think they'd like what they find quite a lot. Sasha's Coffee is on the top of my list.


Recommend: Yes

Coffee: 10/10
Location: 6/10
Comments: Intimate atmosphere, not great for a conversation (but ideal for a quiet work space) 






No comments:

Post a Comment