Sunday, February 24, 2013

Mudshop Review: Light, Sweet and Wonderful



    Let me start this review with a confession: I am not a fan of light roast coffee. Throughout my life, I have avoided it whenever possible. Perhaps it's because it struck me as a weakling, despite the fact that it holds more caffeine then it's brother, dark roast.
     Mudshop comes as a recommendation through various friends. There is also a Mud Truck that barrels around the NYU scene, but in this snowy weather, I prefer the indoors. There's a few things that stand out to me about Mud...First of all, total hippie digs. Red brick walls with Christmas lights, mis-matched tiles, vintage artwork. Splashes of uncoordinated colors as the main design scheme. One small, square canvas ironically warns, "Beware of the Square." Indeed.
    Every table has a candle lit. The mellow music vibe is quite eclectic: from Beatles to Indie Rock to  everything in between. It seems like a pretty groovy place to hang out (groovy is still a thing, yes?). They even serve beer here, which strikes me as unusual for a coffee shop. One can imagine a lot of NYU students might hang around here, just trying to be cool. That, and actual cool coffee blog writers. Right, guys? Right. Thanks for that.
    I order a decaf Americano. It's unlike anything I've ever had before. It's light, naturally sweet and foamy. In other words, exactly what I normally avoid from my coffee. But what would normally fail miserablly, totally works here. It's a surprise and I'm slightly intrigued by how these elements function together. It's just perfectly sweet, and the light roast has none of that bitter aftertaste I've come to accept from dark blends. Perhaps, I've been judging light roast all these years without just cause.
   In any case, As I finish up my drink, the winged-eyeliner waitress seems fatigued that I'm not ordering any food. Little does she know, I've already acquired a warm cup of knowledge.

Coffee: 8/10 Bring on the light-roast!
Location: (Off 9th and 2nd Ave.) Right around NYU
Atmosphere: Mellow, hippie-ish. Great to meet a friend or group of friends for dinner, dessert, drinks, etc.
Cost: $3 + tip
Recommend: Yes!

http://www.onmud.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment