Monday, February 11, 2013

Swedish Import: FIKA in Review


I have never given much thought to Sweden. Their neutrality and cheese are perhaps their biggest claims to fame. But I have to admire the country for their ability to FIKA. That's right. I said it, I think I'll say it again, FIKA. It's a Swedish Verb which translates to "taking a coffee break." The Swedes got it right when it comes to how they respect their coffee. Where as, here in America, we (well, obviously not I) tend to rush around and grab our coffee on-the-go. In Sweden, it is something to be savored and cherished. Also, coffee is usually accompanied by something sweet. Like I said, the Swedes do coffee right.
   Fika, the coffee chain, has been in existence since 2006. I recently ventured out to their Columbus Circle Venue (58th and 6th Ave). The place was interesting... and by interesting, I do mean cool, but not super welcoming. Like that aunt that you never hug because she seems too important.
That kind of vibe. Black and white is the theme, with new age music playing in the background. Metal tables line the walls of the tiny interior. Lots of awesome Europeans inside. I felt like the frizzy-haired, frumpy American in the corner (the title of my auto-biography).
     The coffee is super strong. It's the kind that "grows hair on your teeth," as my mother would say. It has a bitter aftertaste. It's also expensive. A small is $2.50. And it's European small, not American small; meaning that you take three sips and you're almost through. This is the type of place to read a book and occasionally glance at the outside world. It's not an especially homey location. But if you deeply desire to feel cool and artistic, by all means.

Coffee: 7/10 super strong brew
Location: 10/10
Atmosphere: classy, rigid
Cost: $2.50 for a small
Recommend: Maybe. For a strong blend, but not for a warm environment. 



No comments:

Post a Comment